outline of the speech (For more speech info,please feel free to contact us):
Software Outsourcing A key actor on future marketplace ?
Alfredo M. Ronchi
EC MEDICI Framework of Cooperation
Established in 1995
Promotes the use of ICT & New Tech in the field of culture - education, cultural heritage
• Main actions:
– Networking, information & knowledge sharing
– Events and initiatives, research projects
– Education – courses, etc
MEDICI is an active partner of the World Summit Award Org.
• United Nations WSIS
• Why “Digital revolution” & Outsourcing
• Ontological point of view: digital “objects” represent a completely new class of objects
– Copies are clones
– Almost zero cost of reproduction
– Instant transfer and dissemination
• Lower threshold to reach masses, immediate broadcast
• New Agorà
• Real time action and reaction
• Point to point and peer to peer communication
• Basically no difference due to census, sex, geographical location, etc
• Moore’s Law, dropping costs
• Quick implementation even from scratch
• No real need for backward compatibility
• Outsourcing of Digital Resources
– Digital preservation
• The present: some trends
Technology is evolving . . . PCs . . . ubiquitous access to services
• From PCs to “non-computers”
• From “e” to “m” (e.g. eGovernment -> mGovernment);
• From “programmes” to Apps
• Local Storage and Processing to Cloud Computing (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, Haas)
• From stand alone DB to clouds, open and big data
• And as it happens in the maturity phase of many sectors “performances and good by definition…. The choice is about appeal”
Market is evolving -Software Market
• From plastic box on the shelf to on line shops and shared applications
• From few expensive software solutions to many cheap Apps or services
• . . . .
• From software companies to single or small groups up to social & crowd sourcing …
• Online distribution and payment based on e-shops enabled the access to the mass market to single developers;
• Standardization of systems and guidelines helped as well as software outsourcing and clouds.
• . . .
• 50 billion app downloads
• Users & “Customers”
Users are evolving . . . . new way to use / “consume” media, information & content
• From professional users / Computer Scientists to former digitally divided;
• From content consumer to content prosumer:
• From information provision to service provision . . .
• . . . this opens the door to outsourcing and clouds . . .
• . . . .
• People is looking for the Top 10 Apps;
• The consume of Apps is continuous;
• The market model is based on low costs /big numbers;
• The IPR management is evolving . . .
• Digital media are evolving . . .
• . . ..
• Outsourcing: opportunity or threat ?
My focus is on ICT: Software & Services
Research & development
– Specific technologies
– Shared facilities (storage, processing, etc)
• Islands, archipelagos . . . of content & services
Technology it is not enough
Hardware it is not the solution – sometimes it is a “bad ambassador”
Hardware and software without content and services it is not useful
We may enjoy happy islands or even archipelagos thanks to some content and service infrastructure
Political approach of announcements . . . they announce the day after tomorrow skipping the present day
In order to get to the point and reach the critical mass quickly outsourcing of applications and added value services may help
• Cloud Computing & Service Outsourcing
• FUTURE ACCES TO DIGITAL RESOURCES - > A DIGITAL BLACK HOLE ?
• Activate principles of digital preservation
• Policy and guidelines (who is in charge, hosting, etc) - > OUTSOURCING
• Best practice
• ICT companies cooperation
• Outsourcing of the service
• Benefits & Drawbacks
• Outsourcing of Software R&D
– Private Companies
– Public Administration
– Global market
– Shared Service Center
– Outsourcing of the design and development of shared eServices
– Outsourcing of shared data managment systems
– Global market
– Direct control on both data and application
– Security , privacy (trust relation)
– Global market